To qualify for homeownership, you must:
- Live or work for at least one year in Utah County.
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Have the same source of income for at least six months (or show improvement of income).
- Earn 25% - 60% of the Area Median Income. Refer to the chart below and match your total family income with the total number of family members to check your income eligibility.
|Number of Family Members:
- Have less than 30% of your income going to debt. Bankruptcy has to be resolved for at least 2 years.
- Currently live in substandard housing (water leaks, overcrowding, electrical or heating problems).
- Show a need, the ability to pay monthly house payments, a downpayment of $500 plus closing costs, and be willing to partner with the local Habitat affiliate. Sweat equity hours are required (500 hrs. for 2 parent, 350 hrs. for single parent).
- Attend an orientation session (usually held in the Spring) to fill out a program application.
If you meet these qualifications and are interested in participating in our affordable homeownership program, pleaes call (801) 344-8527 to have your name put on our orientation list. You will be notified when the next orientation will be held.
- Sweat equity hours must be completed by house closing.
- Downpayment and closing costs must be provided by house closing.
- Size of house is determined by current size of family. We do not build for the future. We will consider current pregnancy and other relatives who will join you soon.
- We accept families who are on Section 8 Housing.
- We check the sexual offenders registry.
- We perform credit reports on all mortgage signers. You must sign a CR authorization.
- Houses can take 8 - 24 months to complete.
- Medical debt will be considered separately.
- Child Support counts as debt.
- Judgments: show completion or payoff arrangement. Must be completed by house closing.
- Social Security and Child Support count as income.
- Food stamps, welfare, and unemployment benefits do not count as income.
- If you wish to apply, you must attend the orientation session yourself. You cannot attend for someone else.